Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A High Dive to Remember

My kids have turned into fish this year...
We signed them up for our city's swim team, and they have really become proficient swimmers. So much so, that when we go to water parks, I feel comfortable letting them run around and play/swim while I post up and run our re-hydration, apply more sunscreen, eat a snack for more energy, and "I'm cold where's my towel" station.

Eric.....
I've called him my little Kamikaze for years. The boy #1. Has no fear, #2. Has selective hearing, and #3. (bless his heart) Doesn't think before he leaps. This has made for some exciting adventures.

Our adventure today was to go swimming at the Kearns Oquirrh Fitness Center. I psyched my kids up for this by telling them that it's where the 2002 long speed skating events were held for the 2002 Olympics, which is absolutely true. The park didn't need much "talk" to get my kids excited, it really is a fun water park. One of their favorite attractions were the diving boards and platforms.

I had talked to my boys (okay, Eric) about the diving boards. I told them that they couldn't do any tricks off of the high dive, and that they needed to jump in feet first. They had obeyed and done well all afternoon. It was time to leave, but Eric asked if he could go over to the diving boards one more time. I said he could and asked his cousin, Abby, if she'd stay with him. Off they went.

As I'm packing up our gear, I see Abby running toward us saying that Eric couldn't breath and that a life guard had to jump in and "save him". As I made my way to the diving boards, sure enough, there was Eric sitting by the side of the pool with a lifeguard and an EMT by his side. Everyone's story varied a little, but the long and short of it is: Eric did some kind of dive/flip off the high dive and landed on his back. Then he went off the low dive and as he jumped in, he says, "everything became fuzzy". Abby then says that he was in the water moving his arms like he was trying to swim, but couldn't. The life guard then looked to her and asked if he needed help, to which she said, "YES"! In jumps the life guard for the rescue.

The EMT thinks that the shock from slapping his back as he flipped off the high dive hit him as he was jumping off the low dive, rendering him somewhat out-of-it.
Here is Eric recounting his gripping tale to a captivated audience. I'm so glad he is okay!

Eric, Grayson and Lyndsee.

Heather!

Michelle and Tyler!

Abby-baby! Miss. Maidie loved Abby's braids. She had TWO of them! The next time we went swimming Maidie asked if she could wear her hair like Abby's. Maidie's "Abby infatuation" was also perpetuated by the fact that Abby played with her almost the entire time, Maidie was in "my older cousin is playing with me", heaven.

Me and Abby-baby.

Talmage and Gray.


Later that night, the Gunnell's came to stay with us at Grandma Riley's.
My kids were having the time of their lives! There is something about having your aunts/uncles/grandma's/and cousin's around! We threw a bunch of blankets and sleeping bags on the floor in Grandma's playroom, and they laughed and giggled themselves to sleep! It was a wonderful day.

Talmage and Miss. Mae.

Payton and Brenna.

Ashley and Eric.




0 comments:

Post a Comment