My friend, Maurie, is fabulous. Let me tell you why. Last year when I visited Utah I thought to myself, "the next time I come, I'm going to put together a Taylorsville High School girls night. There are so many friends that I haven't seen since graduation with whom I'd love to catch up with". When I was talking to Maurie a few weeks before I came to Utah this year, she had recently been thinking the same thing. But once SHE thinks about something, she immediately starts taking action, where as for ME, my thoughts pretty much stay as.... well, good intentions.
Maurie sent out a facebook invite to high school friends, and told them to send it to anyone else they thought would be interested. The potential could have been a very large turn-out, but in the end, it turned out to be a very intimate dinner of nine, and I could have not enjoyed myself more! Each of us had kept in contact with one woman or another, but for the most part, we hadn't really "seen" or been together for a very long time.

Back row L to R: Me, Laurie, Kellie S., Kelly L. and Monica
Front row L to R: Jamie, Maurie and Ginnie
We met at Hires for Cherry Cokes and hamburgers. Why Hires? Because even though we've grown older, those Hires Cherry Cokes are dear to our hearts.... or at least dear to me and Maurie's hearts.... and since Maurie planned this event, there you go!
Erica and Ginnie.
I actually became better friends with Erica and Ginnie AFTER graduation when we all were attending Snow College together. They are two of the funniest women I know. Erica is the mother of four girls who actually get a long (that is something I'm profoundly in awe of as I had three sisters growing up.... we sometimes got along....sorry, mom). Ginnie has one daughter, and her partner, Rachel, is pregnant with their second.
Monica, Jamie and Maurie.

I sang with Monica and Jamie in our high school concert choir. Jamie, Maurie and I were also in our high school Madrigal group. Monica and Rick have four children, Jamie was able to have twins after adopting her first son, and Maurie just had baby number four a couple months ago. My other friend, Kelly S. (who sadly had to leave before I started taking pictures), has two kids.
Erica and Ginnie humored me when I told them to act natural while I took their picture! Yep, this is their "natural"!
Kelly and Laurie.

Some of my favorite memories of these two ladies happened during sleep-over's at Kelly's parents house. We used to pull out Kelly's parents camcorder and record ourselves being oh-so-clever-and-funny. I would love to get my hands on some of those videos....
Kelly just had her fourth baby and brought her new little bundle of joy to our dinner. Laurie has four kids and is expecting #5 next year!
I love these next few pictures of me and Maurie, they are so typical. Here we are talking, notice how both of our mouths are moving? What did you say Maurie? I couldn't hear you over the sound of my own voice?

Here, you can tell that I have just said something I think is totally funny, and I have to chuckle at my own cleverness. But wait, the look on Maurie's face says she's quickly come up with her own witty retort.... wait for it....

Yes, there it was, Maurie for the win! Isn't it great when you have a friend that gets your sense of humor? I've also loved that we can banter and laugh at ourselves. When we're together, it's hard for other people (let alone ourselves) to get a word in edge wise. But don't worry, we were on our best behavior this night. We are after all (*clearing throat*, he-hem) adults.

Good friends are hard to come by. I'm so grateful for mine!
1 comments:
Oh good, you're back! I didn't see your posts show up on my dashboard, so good thing I clicked over here to see what you've done lately. Love the recap of dinner. It was a really enjoyable evening. I'd love to make it a tradition when you come into town.
Post a Comment