While my girlfriends and I drove home from our "Mom's Gone Wild" overnighter we began to make plans for another adventure. We thought it would be fun to go into Salt Lake City at night, like we used to back in High School, and visit "Side Walks", "Hobbitville", the "Backyards", and "Emo's Grave"... all places we'd go to (and always with guys) after dark for a little thrill. We hit the Hires on 400 S. 700 E. (big surprise there, eh?) for some food and then we'd make a plan as to what haunts we were going to hit after dinner (and of course we invited our husbands, we had to have the guy factor.... especially if one of us wanted to make-out... okay we NEVER did that in high school, or did we?).

At dinner, we were entertained by Bryan, and his new downloaded application for his phone called, "Fat Booth". He would take a picture of you with his phone, hit the application, a little hamburger icon would appear with the words, "yummy, yummy" and then before you knew it, your picture had been altered to be a version of your "Fat Booth" you, all beefed up and hot looking. He fat booth'ed all of us. It was hilarious, we were laughing so loudly I think we started to annoy team Hires and their patrons, but.... it was worth it! I only wish I had a couple of the pictures downloaded to post here.

Oh, Lori and Justin, so cute.

Me and my love.

Kyle and Maurie.

Robert.

Bryan and Katie.



Katie thought it would be fun to wear matching shirts, just like we did for some of the school dances. We all thought it was a great idea, but didn't get our shirts ready in time. That Katie, clever girl, always following through with our ideas. We envied their matching orange sleeved shirts.


In the true spirit of high school, Katie, Maurie, Emily and their dates all squished into one car. Here are the "back-seaters".

And here are the front-seaters.

Ty and I rode with Justin and Lori. We weren't as squished....


Justin and Lori explained the footprints all over their windshield. Apparently, savage children roam their garage and use their cars as toy things. Yes, these children would be their own flesh and blood, but calling them "savages" put a little suspense in this paragraph.

After dinner, the first place we hit was the spot so eerily known to us as, the "Backyards". I had never been here in the daytime, I guess it is actually called Gilgal Garden's. Gilgal Garden's.... how boring is that? We called it the "Backyards" because houses surround it, and it feels like you're in someones backyard. We never entered through this gate pictured below here either, we sneaked over the fence at the opposite end. Up until the year 2000 this park was only open on Sunday's (which is why we would SNEAK in). It was then bought by the city and is now only CLOSED three days out of the year.






Notice the tiny head peeking out of the rock behind Ty. "Hello"!

In this next picture I was trying to choreograph everyone to stand in front of this pioneer woman's statue and put on our best "pioneer" woman face. Look at Lori and Katie, they need a little more practice imitating the pioneer woman behind us, they're much to smiley and cute. Maurie's close, but she's not quite there either.

I decided I would show them what a good "pioneer" face would look like.


After my demonstration, the only person still standing with me was Emily. I guess no one but she appreciated my demo....

Emily and I decided to add our own arms to this art sculpture.

Seriously though, picture this place at night... in the dark... creepy!

Did you know, they actually have pamphlets and brochures so you can read about the Gilgal Garden's as you explore them. We thirsted for knowledge, and found answers to questions we'd had for SO many years. Like, "why are there so many statue's of body parts and heads?", and "what's with the statue of Joseph's Smith's head appearing as a sphinx?".
Kyle, he likes plants....

Tyler, he likes plants too...
(Notice the Joseph Smith Sphinx statue in between Ty and Rob)


Our next stop was to a local Smith's. As we walked in we were dying at all the wires they had hanging down. They are obviously remodeling, but still, I'm sure this violates all kinds of codes.


Our stop at Smith's was for Maurie. We're by your side Mo, we're those kind of friends!


As we were in the bathroom, we had a Smith's employee walk in and ask what we were doing. What were we doing? This (see below)!



I guess it would appear odd that five adult women walk into a Smith's restroom and create the laughter and mayhem that we did.

Our husbands, they just roll with the mayhem we create. They are used to us when we get together. Ty told me that it can be "overwhelming" when we are all together, but that he is used to it by now. Does he mean that it can be "overwhelming"-ly F-U-N to be with us.... yeah, I think he does!




We next hit the Salt Lake Cemetery to find Emo's grave.

It's a little spooky at night....

This tombstone was a little spooky too....






This is the last picture I took before my camera battery ran out of juice... *&@$#! If this picture had to be the last I took, I guess it is a good one. Maurie and Kyle, ahh, aren't they just glowing!

We did end up finding Emo's grave and walked around it three times chanting his name. We encountered a little hiccup trying to get OUT of the grave yard. Apparently, they close, and lock the gates of the entrances/exits to the Salt Lake Cemetery once the sun sets. It took us awhile to find an exit, and luckily we didn't have to drive over any curbs!
After the grave yard we rendezvoused back at Hires only to have more great moments like; Bryan and Justin driving their cars with their heads sticking out of their sunroof's, Bryan blasting Katie's brothers rap about Taylorsville, and Maurie's bloodied toe after Bryan started his dirty dancing toward the wrong woman. It was now 10:30 pm (on a Tuesday) and everyone but me, Ty, Katie and Bryan had to get home to relieve babysitter's. The remaining four of us decided to end this wild and crazy night by going and seeing the movie, "Eclipse". Not a wild and crazy movie, but at least it was more time to spend together!
We had so much fun! When my friends and I get together we do tend to be a little louder, and more obnoxious than we usually are. Not consciously though. I guess it's just the familiarity we've always shared with each other that breaks down certain walls of "adulthood" and "properness".
I love these women (and their husbands). They have been a part of my life for over twenty years. TWENTY years.... Phew, I'm getting old! Let's go for twenty more ladies!

0 comments:
Post a Comment