Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Zurchers

Here's our Grandma Gucci...

I found out on our trip to Utah how she got her nickname.
We were living with Tyler's parents while the 2002 Winter Olympics were going on.
One night Kristi Yamaguchi was doing some commentary for the ice skating competition. Talmage kept hearing them announce her name, "Yamaguchi", and thought they were saying, "Grandma-guchi", so.... after Talmage said it a few times, she started to refer to herself as "Grandma-guchi", which then turned into, "Gucci".

Ever since Talmage was a wee-little lad, Gucci would take him on outings to the Zurcher's party supply store. Without fail, she always let him pick out a treasure to bring home. He'd come home with the most random things; squishy body parts, swords, hats, candy... the possibilities were endless.
Then Eric came a long and he too became entranced with his Zurcher trips with Gucci.
Our stay with Gucci would not have been complete without a visit to Zurcher's, and this time I came along.

As soon as we walk through the doors the boys and their cousin, Adessa, take off.
I'm a little concerned and start calling their names to come back by us. Gucci is looking relaxed and I ask her, "do they always run off like this when they're here?". She replies, "Oh, yeah! There's only one door in and one door out, and when they spy something they like... they come find me." "Alright then!" I say. After all, this is their "thing" and who am I to shake things up?

Gucci was right. As soon as they discovered funny hats and masks they found us to put on their fashion show. Even Auntie Ashley participated.




This was the best picture I could get of Will, he had places to go and couldn't stop for a picture!



I can see why my kids enjoy this, what kid wouldn't? What a fun memory for them to share with their Gucci!

0 comments:

Post a Comment